Did you know, May happens to be Get Caught Reading Month?
Get Caught Reading is a campaign sponsored by The Association of American Publishers (AAP) to promote literacy nationwide, with a special focus on children’s literacy:
Because of research indicating that early language experience actually stimulates a child’s brain to grow and that reading to children gives them a huge advantage when they start school, we hope to encourage people of all ages to enjoy books and magazines and to share that pleasure with the young children in their lives.
So throughout May, don’t be afraid to Get Caught Reading, and check back here for more ideas and activities to promote literacy in your home! Here are 5 to get you started right now:
- Read aloud together at Bedtime.
- Model ‘reading for leisure’ for your child – what book(s) are YOU reading right now?
- Visit your library and borrow something new!
- Encourage reading outside of books (cereal box, billboard, stop sign, recipe, the possibilities are endless!).
- Talk positively about time spent with books – “I’d LOVE to read a story with you!” or “I can’t wait to open our new books together!”
The most important piece of the puzzle is to just sit down and read. Put down the cell phone, turn off the TV, and choose a book (or eReader) instead! Modeling this behavior will go miles to show your children that reading is a priority and a joy in your household.